Specs or performance, which is most important?

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 20,096
Re: Specs or performance, which is most important?

Gary from Seattle wrote:

G Dickson wrote:

Chris R-UK wrote:

It depends on what you mean by “specs”.

The specifications sheets published on this site are badly out of date. They include many items that have little or no interest, e.g. whether the camera supports PASM modes, and miss some really crucial specs like maximum fps rate with Liveview and the sensor readout time.

The specs tell you almost nothing about how well the camera handles, not even whether it has one or two control wheels. They don’t mention any of the computational photography capabilities like HHHR, pre-capture, HDR, focus stacking, ND filter simulation, etc. They also don’t tell you anything about how well the AF system works.

Feedback from actual users is much more useful.

Exactly. Beyond certain basics like FPS, number of pixels and similar it is all about user feedback from people I know have similar use cases to my own. Which is why I bought (and am very satisfied with) a canon 6dmkii. A camera which on specs alone (DR in particular) got slammed.

http://www.sulasula.com/en/olympus-e-m1-mark-iii-in-costa-rica-1/

And the initial review contains a lot of useful information as well.  We will have to wait a lot longer to get a full check out of the AF system.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
chp
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow