Specs or performance, which is most important?

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
SteveY80 Senior Member • Posts: 1,308
Re: Specs or performance, which is most important?

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

I think there is something more important than either; are you comfortable with the camera. I feel like I was the crash test dummy for the G9 and it was made especially for me. It stands to reason that any camera where you fill the affinity is likely to perform better than one which is uncomfortable.

I agree that comfort is very important, and of course reviews and spec sheets are nearly useless when it's something so personal and subjective. The only option is to actually spend time using the camera in the real world.

Personally I find the G9 really awkward and uncomfortable. I bought one during the Black Friday sales and spent a frustrating month or so forcing myself to use it in the hope that it would click. The performance is much better than my GX9, but using a camera I hated was turning photography into an unpleasant chore.

On paper the G9's spec looked like a nice upgrade, but it ended up sitting in a box while I go out with technically inferior cameras that I actually enjoy.

SteveY80's gear list:SteveY80's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Fujifilm X-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony a77 II +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
chp
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow