Sigma 150-600C initial focus speed compared to Nikon 200-500mm

Started 1 week ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
djrocks66
djrocks66 Senior Member • Posts: 1,404
Sigma 150-600C initial focus speed compared to Nikon 200-500mm

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone has experience with both of these lenses on any of the Z cameras. I have the Sigma and have used it with a D500, D850, Z6 and now Z50. I really like the lens as far as image quality but as much as I try and play with the settings on the lens and also through the Hub with the software I can never get it to focus faster initially. What is happening is that when I lift the camera to my face and try and focus on something in the distance it always tries to focus close and then slowly focuses on the distance and I miss what I was trying to shoot, if it was moving. I have to prefocus on the distance and even then it will refocus at times. It is very annoying and I have been putting up with it because I like the images I can make with the lens. Like I said I have tried adjusting the focus distance settings on the lens but it doesn't make a difference. Maybe my lens is faulty? Is this a common flaw of the lens? How does the Nikon 200-500 perform compared to the Sigma? I was thinking of renting one. Here are some pics I took yesterday of a Snowy Owl that was just sitting there, thank God, as the initial focus was slow. When I am focused on the subject though it does seem to stay locked pretty good. I forgot to mention that it doesn't make a difference if I am in AFC or AFS. These shots were taken with the Sigma 1.4 tele as well which doesn't seem to make the focusing worse. Thanks for taking the time to read this and if you have any ideas that would be great!

Dom

djrocks66's gear list:djrocks66's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D500 Fujifilm X-T100 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +16 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow