RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM and RF extenders

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ThePointblank Regular Member • Posts: 104
Re: RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM and RF extenders

Erwann Loison wrote:

ThePointblank wrote:

Erwann Loison wrote:

I thought L glass was not going lower than 5.6 (I don't know the whole L range though).

I guess it was to maintain AF on DSLR but still, 7.1 is a bit much. I was hoping for something different for a Canon "super tele zoom".

My mind was already gone anyway.

A f/7.1 is about 1/3 of a stop brighter than the 100-400 & 1.4x TC combo.

That's a very positive way of seeing things, to me it's 66% less light than f/5.6 when early/late in the day or in the woods, busier backgrounds and not much more reach than 400 and it gets even worse with a TC. But that's just me. I'm sure as an L lens it'll be sharp, fast focusing and enjoyable but that's not the lens I was waiting for to decide if I wait for an R body that could somewhat replace my 7D2. I was hoping for something directly competing with the various xxx-600 f/6.3 (and I was hoping Canon would put up an f/5.6 here) or the Nikon 200-500 f/5.6.

Without knowing the exact details regarding the max aperture and focal length comparisons, it's hard to tell.

But if the lens only becomes f/7.1 beyond 400mm, I'm happy to get the extra focal length and a slightly lighter lens over a much heavier f/5.6 version.

ThePointblank's gear list:ThePointblank's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow