Help building print profiles with old Spyder Print

Started 1 week ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 3,762
Help building print profiles with old Spyder Print

I'm hoping you can offer me some solutions to problems I'm having building ICC printer profiles with an old DataColor Spyder 3 Print, which uses the old-type model 1005 "spectrocolorimeter" but runs the current (I think) SpyderPRINT version 5.02 software.

First, when I measure the patches, I suspect the system is using red to tell me that it thinks many of my readings are very wrong, seemingly concentrated in the darker colors:

But even with repeated re-readings, with rare exceptions I can't get them to go green. Is that what it in fact means--suspected out-of-range / wrong readings? I tried cleaning the white calibration tile with rubbing alcohol and a paper towel, but I wonder whether it's not totally clean / white. Also, how do you get the device's 'nozzle' away from the sensor to clean it? Yes, I turned off color management in the printer driver before I printed the target. Insofar as the red areas seem to be concentrated in the dark areas, is it possible that the old device is not able to be fully calibrated? I was pretty careful about placement of the device centered in the patches. I did put some white paper under the printed target. Then when I go to proof view, I get this:

which certainly doesn't look right. In case you are wondering, an actual test print using the resulting profile--made in my standard way, from Lightroom, which always works fine for me--is a ridiculous disaster, looking like some psychedelic misinterpretation of my standard test photos.

Second, I set the margins to minimum, but the system printed the profiling target rather small. I went to 104%, which juuuuust fits the patches on the paper, but I have a lot of white space top and left, and I'm running out of paper bottom and right. FWIW, the resulting patch area is almost exactly 1.0x1.5 cm (0.41x0.59 in).

FWIW, I have made profiles before using a rented X-Rite i1 Studio. After a modest learning curve (and figuring out that part of the problem was a bad connection between the spectrophotometer and its cable), it was easy to do and the results were good. And I realize an old Datacolor 1005 spectrocolorimeter is not up to the standards of a current X-Rite spectrophotometer. I'm just trying to see whether I can get this old device to functional.

Thanks!

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S110 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow