EM-1 Miii: Fairly disappointed, but might still give it a try

Started 4 days ago | Discussions thread
jwilliams Veteran Member • Posts: 5,091
Re: EM-1 Miii: Fairly disappointed, but might still give it a try

mrwho27 wrote:

Hi all,
since 2008 I am shooting with my beloved Nikon D90. Though the camera was true revolution when it came out (and still is to some extend), I have been looking for a significant update over the last years.
In 2015 I tried the Olympus EM-1 Mi. I fell in love with the ergonomics and features but was very disappointed with the image quality (since it fell behind the much older Nikon D90). Then came the EM-1 Mii. At the time I just did not have funds to make a major system switch and just admired the camera from afar.
Then at the end of last year and some pretty incredible prices for the Sony A7r IV, I thought I had finally found a camera to upgrade to. Until I held the camera in store. WHAT HORRIBLE ERGONOMICS!!!
When we first heard rumors about an upcoming EM-1 Miii, I got super excited and thought that THIS IS IT!
Until the specs of the camera became clearer.. I have to say I am quite disappointed that they went with the same old sensor (image processor does not seem to provide any gains either) the same EVF and also did (again) not get close to Sony's AF.
Since a camera is more than its individual specs, I probably will still rent one and compare it against the Sony A7r IV to see what is more important to me:
Absolute Picture Quality or portability and ergonomics.
I also have to say, that this product release by Olympus definitely supports the naysayers that claim that Olympus is shutting down its camera business...

Honestly I'd not look at m43 if I were you.  If the EM1 MKI disappointed you in IQ, you'll find not a huge amount of progress has occurred since then.  You have some Nikon lenses, try a Z6 or even a Z50.  Canon has some new mirrorless coming out soon.  I have the R and love it.  The new Canon cameras are rumored to have IBIS which really was the only thing lacking in the lineup.  If wanting something smaller/lighter like an EM10 then go ahead with m43.  For the larger cameras, if not already committed to the format, there are better cameras at better prices frankly.  Excuse me while I put on my flack jacket.

-- hide signature --

Jonathan

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow