Re: Sigma says full-frame Foveon camera won't arrive this year

joe173 wrote:

veritalens wrote:

joe173 wrote:

Jozef M wrote:

veritalens wrote:

Jozef M wrote:

Yeah, I wasn't expecting this.

So, in the end we get nothing at all, no Quattro sensors no more, no Sigma cameras with the old lens mount, no new Sigma Foveon cameras at all.
If Sigma has to start all over again with the development of the Foveon full frame sensor, yes that could take years and years. Very unfortunate.

Honestly, I think the full-format Foveon project will be put in the freezer until better times come again in the photo industry. So maybe never.....

Jozef.

I fear that you may be right Jozef. What a shame too. I, and I expect many other Sigma camera users, don't really have any interest in CMOS camera bodies, and so I haven't bought anything in years, because nothing really interests me within the recent camera bodies.

Wow! He really made it seem like the camera isn't going to be released at all! I appreciate him letting us know, but this one hurts a bit. I legitimately had NO excitement for any other camera but this one. Back to film I guess?

The high res Sony sensors are very very good. And I like pixel shift, it works great on my Lumix G9 (with a Sony sensor in it, with no AA filter), but you need good prime lenses to get that sharp noise free image. And a subject that does not move, of course. The G9 photos without pixel shift are very good too.

Maybe Panasonic can work together with Sigma to make a 1:1:1 Foveon FF sensor, if they are interested, they are together in the L Alliance.
If not, I fear that Foveon sensors are a thing of the past, and this Sigma camera forum will die out like the Kodak forum on dpreview. I hope not.

Jozef.

haha

You don't know Japanese companies. Giving up due to adversity?? LOL. You are far off the mark. If anything, it's the exact opposite. That's not how they work. I worked for one!

I really want to believe this Joe, I live in Japan (13+ years now), and have only ever worked for Japanese companies.

I haven't tracked the Sigma fp, but if it was as successful as they wanted, it may be a sign that Sigma is going to invest more heavily in non-Merrill/Quattro sensor bodies, and their EXCELLENT photo//cinema glass. It could be a sign that they are "switching directions" as a company...

I'm stressed out.

I worked for Yamaha. They produced the first cd player back when. Their "profit losing model with an odd industry-nonstandard product" was the exact type of product I worked in (not cd players). It is a different animal. The point of this product, is to introduce people to the Sigma design experience. I don't exactly know how to describe it. You know those showgirls that stand around cars at car shows? Why are they there? To make the cars look good right? That's essentially all these Sigma cameras are, only in technology form. The lenses in this case correspond to the cars.

Having a camera with this sensor type is a prestige factor. Like those cars, the showgirls, they don't have to make money (that's the car's job). But they do have to perform and look good. The camera's don't have to make money (that the lenses job). Their job is to generate "buzz" at trade shows, and secondarily, fulfill the needs of its little devoted user base. Where does that user base fit in? You go out, and people ask questions and you discuss the camera with them. I can't tell you how many times I've explained the way the sensor works. Word-of-mouth advertising is the best kind. The next time they see Sigma lenses they will remember that talk.

I'm sorry if this is sexist. It isn't meant to be.

Don't stress. I was blasted here for my earlier comments that the next camera system would be buggy as hell. How did I know? Because this technology is unexplored, totally new. It doesn't have an entire industry using it or supporting it.

Now I'll make another statement. Listen carefully.

The fact that they had to make the quattro design, which was a compromise of sorts, meant that the 1:1:1 design was infeasible at the time. If they could have made the updated 1:1:1 design they surely would have. The 4:1:1 design allowed them to make updated cameras. Does everyone agree on this? So now they thought they had worked out the bugs in the 1:1:1 design. They had not.

Having this funky sensor design is what makes them stand out as a maverick. The fp model, while interesting as video, does not. Taking the easy path to Bayer does not. They are not going to do this.

A complete re-design means back to ideas. What might work:

a) another quatro design, with some updates

b) computational photography, like what many phones have. Combining, stitching images, stacking...super-resolution. Go that direction. Use a less hefty sensor.

c) some other design, split the layers up somehow--have no idea how this would work

one thing I can absolutely guarantee. They're not going to say, oh *(&^ it, just stick a Bayer sensor in there and call it a day. You just gave up your "unique Maverick" title. Would anyone buy a Sigma with a Bayer sensor (other than fp for video which makes sense) for stills? Of course not! You can get a much better camera with more features from any other company.

The next sensor, might be 2,3,4 years away. But it will come. I guarantee it.

Error: I meant to say, they produced the first CD RECORDER not player.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
GCL
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow