Do I have a bad copy of the 18-55?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
OP Keith Lommel Contributing Member • Posts: 740
Re: Do I have a bad copy of the 18-55?

Len-O wrote:

Len-O wrote:

Len-O wrote:

Steve Bingham wrote:

Well, it does have OS. However, I never use mine. I much prefer my primes. Probably sell it. I have a 14, 27, 50, 90, and 50-240. The 18-55 is the weak link - my first Fuji lens. It IS lightweight and does have OS. Probably a decent travel lens. Expecting it to perform well wide open is a little unrealistic. Again, stop it down a few stops and enjoy.

The 18-55 was also my first Fuji lens with my X-E2. I found my copy to perform well within my expectations, and these days I use it with my X-E2 & X-E3, while the 16-55/2.8 and 100-400 live on my X-T3. I guess I must have got one of the good copies of the 18-55 as I have yet to find fault with what it does. Having said that, these days I probably use my small primes on the X-E3 more than the 18-55.

Here are two of my early Fuji shots out of my X-E2 with the 18-55.

Just for the hell of it I shot this card with my X-E3 +18-55 at 18mm f/2.8, and added a 100% crop of the upper right corner.

100% crop

BTW: IOS was OFF for that shot, so here is one at 55mm f/4.0 with IOS ON.

...and they were handheld.

55mm f/4.0 OIS ON

Thanks for taking the time to share. Yours does indeed look like a better copy. I'd be happy with performance on this level.

Keith Lommel's gear list:Keith Lommel's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +30 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow