Beyond 1:1 magnification

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
estux New Member • Posts: 17
Beyond 1:1 magnification

After some time shooting macro I wanted to try larger magnification ratios.

Laowa lenses caught my eye, but I am not 100% convinced about them: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4465090

...and before spending money on new lenses, I gave an opportunity to close up lenses attached to my 1:1 macro lens.

I bought the Raynox MSN-202 and the DCR-250.

The camera is an a6300 (aps-c) and the lens is an alpha mount Sigma 70mm 2.8 1:1

I used the Raynox calculator to know what kind of magnification would I get with my setup, but the numbers doesn't match what I have observed.

I get 1.5:1 ratio with the DCR-250, and a 2.5:1 with the MSN-202. I calculated it by shooting a ruler. Raynox calculator gave my a 2.1:1 for the first case and a 4.x:1 for the second, I don't understand why, thoughts?

Obviously the more radical change comes with the MSN-202.

I always shoot handled with flash, but I started with natural light and bigger apertures.

The biggest challenge with this setup is getting a nice light, the working distance is really narrow with the MSN-202. Yeah, IMHO lighting is harder than focusing at this point.

I didn't get the change to test this on the field, so I just did some photos around the house.

Is anyone using a similar setup? What is your experience?

Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow