Epson P800...........sRGB, Adobe RGB or ICC ?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
technoid Senior Member • Posts: 2,276
Re: Printer vs SW to manage color

pixelgenius wrote:

just Tony wrote:

pixelgenius wrote:

just Tony wrote:

The minimalist approach can actually be quite good: use papers made by the printer manufacturer and select "printer manages color". It's really a very good starting place. If you want to move from "very good" to "excellent" you may make some different choices.

Emphasis added.

I don't think that we are disagreeing with each other here in terms of what lies ahead on the learning path, other than by how rapidly a relative beginner might walk it.

Very good is sometimes debatable. I’ve seen cases where PMC wasn’t very good. At all, just due to funneling the data into sRGB compared to printing from the original color space (ProPhoto RGB). Yes, PMC doesn’t automatically suck but it isn’t automatically very good; image content, original color space can make a massive visual difference when you actually compare the two print paths.

And that's the problem. PMC can and does produce different prints using the same OEM paper with different printers from the same OEM (Canon in my case). My Canon 9500 II, using PMC,  makes very different prints than my Canon Pro1000. But if I make profiles for both printers and use AMC, I get can identical prints aside from those few images where the gamut is exceeded on one of the printers. But these are infrequent.

So the problem for newbies to color management is they may tweak things in Photoshop to get the result they like then find when they upgrade printers that all their hard work and intuitive knowledge no longer works with the new printers. With AMC, this occurs much more rarely, if at all.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow