Sigma says full-frame Foveon camera won't arrive this year

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
joe173 Regular Member • Posts: 445
Re: Sigma says full-frame Foveon camera won't arrive this year

dbateman wrote:

His honestly is exceptional. Other have killed cameras without a mention or put products into market with major problems and ignored it.

I hope the future camera can have user removable UV/IR cut filter, an in axis tilting screen and live view. Thats about all on my wish list.

Place a Foveon sensor inside a Panasonic S1H body would be ideal for me. Especially if it has IBIS and high resolution shot mode. 1/2 pixel shift with a Foveon sensor would be truly amazing.

Pixel-shift? With a Foveon sensor? I'm not sure what that would accomplish except needlessly slow down the camera.

It sounds like they ran into a production problem with the design (interconnects) and decided it was best to start over completely with a new design. Give it a few years and they will have a better design. I have no problem with waiting. I was chastised here for suggesting that the first batch of these new Sigmas would be very buggy. Posters claimed I had no knowledge or basis to make those statements. Well....I know a thing or two about producing unique products, which have no real industry comparison because that's what I did!!!! I supported that kind of technology (one of a kind, adding to industry standards in a totally unique way, small scale production...limited budget)

For starters, the Sigma sensor is a much less well-researched technology compared to any of the traditional sensors. What this means, practically, is, it has more potential and more sinkholes--more ways to goof it up.

Think of it this way, for a traditional sensor, it's like you have a house with rooms in it. You have had many people over, there is not much left you don't know about it. All of the rooms have been explored. So many people have been through this house, inspecting it, fixing it, improving it. They've got good at doing so. There are no real surprises.

Now there is another house, that you have just stumbled into. This is Sigma sensor technology. This house has not been explored greatly. You don't know where the rooms are. You might find some really cool stuff in those rooms. However, as fewer people have searched and inspected the house, the problems are also more unknown.

This holds true for any new technology, be it programming languages, operating systems, or chip production. HAMR hard drives, which use heat to assist with storage, have been in testing for years. Why? Because a hard drive has to be rock solid reliable. You need to have faith the design is sound.

Sigma did not have faith that the new design was sound, and would lead to a PR and production nightmare. So you start over. Do more fundamental research. Incorporate that into the new design. If something is worth doing, it's worth spending the time and doing it right. That way you're not taking advantage of customers. You're not creating tech support nightmares and you're not ruining your reputation by shipping a rushed, rough product.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
GCL
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow