Adobe RGB monitor usage?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
sirhawkeye64 Senior Member • Posts: 3,743
Re: Adobe RGB monitor usage?

MarkMyWords wrote:

I have a Dell Ultrasharp UP2516D monitor with 100% Adobe RGB and 100% sRGB. The extended colour gamut is very noticeable...unsurprisngly.

Is the general practice to use the monitor in sRGB mode for digital publishing? Most of the world doesn't have the Adobe RGB colour range. For example, my iPhone X displays quite differently to the monitor configured in Adobe RGB, e.g. substantially dulls/normalises some colours. Adobe RGB intended for printing?

As an aside, the UP2516D monitor has a disappointing contrast ratio (with no amount of adjustment) - my Huawei Matebook Pro much better for example.

I'm not an expert in this area, but everyone I've talked to has said for editing to use sRGB (or ProPhoto RGB) as Adobe RGB colors will look more dull overall, even though the color gamut is bigger.

With today's printers supporting sRGB and other color profiles, I think the use of Adobe RGB has become more of a preference than a necessity, more so than it was in the past maybe. I think in the past, if you were doing print work, most everyone worked in Adobe RGB. But I think times have changed, especially at the consumer/enthusiast level to a point where you can use either one and you're probably fine.

I'm sure there's a more technical explanation to differentiate the two, but my understanding is it's not widely used as much anymore, and most people (particularly hobbyists) use sRGB or ProPhoto RGB.

The biggest important thing, though, is to have a properly calibrated monitor, no matter what color space you're working in.

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Fujifilm X-T30 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow