Macro and manual aperture

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
estux New Member • Posts: 17
Macro and manual aperture

Hi,

I use a Sony a6300 with a Sigma 70mm 1:2.8 DG MACRO (max magnification is 1:1) plus a couple of godox flashes TT685 for macro photography. I am happy with this solution, but I would like to go beyong 1x magnification.

The Laowa 100mm f/2.8 2X Ultra Macro APO caught my attention, but I am a little bit concerned about how to deal with manual apperture. How easy is to see what is going on if I close the diaphragm (>f16)? With my current setup the diaphragm is fully opened until I do the shot, which lets me see with precission where the focus is, focus peaking works really nice in this scenario. In low light scenearios live view with a closed diaphram can feel a little bit clumsy/laggy.

What is your experience using manual aperture for macro photography?

I have discarted extension tubes, adding enough lenght to get 2x magnification with my current setup doesn't seem practical, the lense lenght from the camera body when it is fully extendes is 19cm, adding tubes will be really uncomfortable and lighting will be difficult.

Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow