Would a DP0 or Dp1 Quattro be suitable as an only camera on vacation?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
TN Args
TN Args Veteran Member • Posts: 9,737
Re: Would a DP0 or Dp1 Quattro be suitable as an only camera on vacation?

firoze wrote:

Tomorrow, I will have an opportunity to test a DP0 for half an hour or so. Any advice on settings?

Depends on what you want to 'test'.

If you are testing lens sharpness, sensor resolution -- better bring a tripod. And shoot at ISO 100.

Ultimate lens edge sharpness is around ƒ/5.6-7.1, centre sharpness around ƒ/4.5-5.6. Diffraction is there by ƒ/11.

I *know* you are not going to test high ISO ability: you know better than to try.

Test the AWB in a few different lights. I think it works well.

Use STD scene mode for general 'realistic' shooting. Maybe try VIVID for things with naturally rich tones. LANDSCAPE has its moments, and MONO is cool fun but IMHO you won't have time in a 30 minute session to play with MONO properly.

Try the manual focusing setup to see if it works for you. I quite like it although I'm not sure if I am using the default settings. I can switch MF/AF at the press of a button on the 4-way rocker, and in MF I get a nice DOF display as I turn the focus ring. And pressing the button in the middle of the rocker gives me magnified view for MF, which is user adjustable. I use 8x.

If Face Detect is important to you, then give it a try, but I don't care since I don't think of dp0 as a face-taking camera and don't use it for that.

Ps: my MacBook is off for repairs, so I will have to edit the photos on my 12.9” iPad Pro. I know DNG can be processed on the iPad, but is it correct that I cannot set the camera to shoot jpeg+DNG?

Correct. Take a few shots with Raw+JPEG, and a few with DNG.

Take a few JPEG-only shots with image size FINE/S-HI. Just to show off and impress yourself back home!

Also take a couple SFD. Using that tripod again.

If the person handing you the camera for 30 minutes knows how to use it, I suggest you keep him or her nearby. You can get so 'lost' trying to change settings on an unfamiliar camera. The QS or Quick Screen / Quick Menu button, on the back, gets you most typical settings: use the 4-way rocker to highlight a setting and then the top dial to adjust it.

One last thing, the grip. You are going to hate it, due to 'muscle memory' not knowing what to make of it. I use left thumb and forefinger on the focus ring, with left palm and 4th finger (counting thumb as 1 and fingers 2-5) supporting the body weight, leaving right hand with no support function. (If you try to shoot one-handed with right hand, you will think it is the worst camera body ever made. It isn't.) Right index finger on the shutter of course, fingers 3 and 4 splayed across the front, and thumb under the notch in the rear grip.

Enjoy your experiment.

cheers

TN Args's gear list:TN Args's gear list
Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow