Would a DP0 or Dp1 Quattro be suitable as an only camera on vacation?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
firoze
OP firoze Regular Member • Posts: 198
Re: Would a DP0 or Dp1 Quattro be suitable as an only camera on vacation?

xpatUSA wrote:

firoze wrote:

Hello, I will be visiting Athens and the Greek islands on vacation soon. So far, on all my vacations I have used a camera with a zoom lens. Do you think a fixed lens camera like a [dp0] or a [dp1] would be suitable as an only camera? My genre of photography are landscape, architecture and close ups of flowers etc.

In terms of composition, especially for reasonable perspective, I would take the dp1 because you mentioned close-ups.

But that was not your question. For vacation, I would prefer a range-finder style camera, m43/APS-C with a reasonable zoom lens on it.

I already have the Leica X Vario which has a 28-70 lens, but I wanted to experience the Foveon magic, and wanted to use a ultra wide, hence the choice of DP0. However I do not want to carry both these cameras.

I was wondering whether a fixed focal length would suffice on vacation?

The other option for a small high quality camera would be the FP with 45/2.8. I know the FP  doesn’t have a Foveon sensor, but it’s files do have a bit of the Sigma/Foveon DNA. I tested one recently and liked the IQ. And the FP’s low light capability is excellent. But again I wonder if I could get away with only a 45mm lens on such a trip.

firoze's gear list:firoze's gear list
Sony RX100 Leica X Vario Leica V-Lux (Typ 114)
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow