Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 PRO Heavyweight

Started Feb 5, 2020 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
softmarmotte
softmarmotte Senior Member • Posts: 2,563
Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 PRO Heavyweight

Had the Pana 7-14 and enjoyed using it but eventually the random (very difficult to predict and to see in camera) purple blobby thing got to me. nice well balanced lens

Hummed and ahhed about getting the Oly Pro 2.8 or going smaller for the 9-18 but in the end decided I sometimes need the 7mm for indoor

Used MPB to swap the Pana for the Oly. Excellent service and I get the Oly for less than half price. It looks like new

Immediately I like it and the images are quality. Don't see the distortion that some people claim (the Pana seemed worse). Of course at 7mm there is a bit of curve. The IQ is superb and corner to corner. I try to use Hires mode as much as possible and the lens copes brilliantly

2.8 to 6.3 doesn't seem to make any difference to the images - crystal clear

As in all Pro lenses the manual focus ring is great but in autofocus I have had it wandering a bit. Easily fixed with bbf

Very happy

The big but and it is a huge butt on this beast. I am not going to carry this on hiking trips. I will happily have it in the car and whip it out when I see something that needs the UWA treatment. I will happily use it indoors on a tripod but it's over 500g for f**ks sake. I knew that when I ordered it but still ...

I suppose you pay for quality in money and in grammes

I can only give it 4*s not because the quality isn't there but because it kind of defeats the m43 philosophy of lightweight and portable 

If I ever get in a fight I know my heavyweight friend will help me out. I just hope I don't drop it. It'll probably kill someone

softmarmotte's gear list:softmarmotte's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +11 more
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm F2.8 PRO
Wideangle zoom lens • Micro Four Thirds • V313020BU000
Announced: May 12, 2015
softmarmotte's score
Average community score
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Dan
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow