RF 50mm vs 85mm

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
CarlosMart
CarlosMart Forum Member • Posts: 53
Re: RF 50mm vs 85mm

Jonathan0007 wrote:

To those of you who have both (or experience using both), how do you feel they compare in terms of image quality (sharpness, rendering, 3D pop)? I know these are two different focal lengths we are talking about, but I am mostly interested in how their outputs compare.

I own both, my 85mm is the non-DS version.

In terms of IQ, I would say they are in the same category. Top-tier with dreamy bokeh, beautiful contrast and sharpness wide open.

The only slight difference is that in an extreme contrast scenario, the RF 50L may have a little bit of purple fringe while the RF 85L won't show it. The reason for this is that the 85L is the second Canon lens that have the "Blue Spectrum Refractive" coating that is designed to virtually remove any color fringing, even wide open. The first Canon lens with this coating is the EF 35mm f/1.4 L

Apart from extreme contrast scenario and different focal length perspective, these lenses gives beautiful IQ overall.

CarlosMart's gear list:CarlosMart's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Canon RF 50mm F1.2L USM +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow