Are other online retailers that buy equipment as bad as Adorama?

Started Feb 4, 2020 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Johnny2603 Junior Member • Posts: 27
Are other online retailers that buy equipment as bad as Adorama?

I had a really poor experience with Adorama.  Aside from being offered less than 50% of what they will sell everything for (rather than the 70% advertised), they had my gear for 16 days before I was finally able to get a quote from someone.  Once I mailed my gear, I never heard back from the first person that e-mailed me.  After they had my gear for 7 business days, I got an e-mail from someone else saying my quote was ready but I had to call them... rather than just tell me over e-mail.  So I called and left a message as was requested, and was told in the e-mail I could expect an answer back in 2 business days.  Although I found 2 business days an excessive amount of time to return a call, I waited.  After 2 business days I still did not hear from anyone.  I tried calling them again and would either receive a busy signal, or would hear hold music and the line would disconnect on me.  I sent an e-mail to the only 2 people I had made contact with and the main used department e-mail address, just asking for my equipment to be returned.  I missed the first phone call from them after the weekend (again, 16 calendar days and 10 business days after they had my equipment), and called back within an hour.  Someone answered, quickly confirmed my name and phone number, and told me they were going into a meeting and would call me back.  An hour and a half later he calls back and is completely oblivious of my earlier request, and proceeds to give me my low offer.  If they had gotten back to me right away, I think we might have been able to make a deal.  With the poor customer service I had, I did not want to do business with them and will no longer even buy from them in the future.

Are the other major online companies just as bad?  I don't want to have my gear mailed off for another whole month and just be left dealing with someone equally as bad.  I've considered eBay and/or Craigslist, but I used to run and closed down an eBay store after the scammers, and don't feel like getting stabbed through Craigslist over a camera and a couple of lenses.

Johnny2603's gear list:Johnny2603's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro (F004) +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow