Using Elements+ for Soft-Proofing?

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
technoid Senior Member • Posts: 2,276
Re: Using Elements+ for Soft-Proofing?

Flycaster wrote:

And, I might as well ask you the same question as I just did with Pixelgenius:

Do you have any comments as to how to get a "darkened" soft proofed image to print closer to the original image (image before soft proofing). Do I have to readjust the monitor or do I have to readjust the soft proofed image so that once printed, the print will mirror its un-proofed monitor image?

This is a problem for many and there are multiple factors.

First, is matching the level of luminance which you view prints with to the illuminance of the monitor. Luminance is measured in Lux, luminance (the light emitted from a monitor or reflected of a white surface) is measured in cd/m^2 sometimes called "nits." A luminance of 500 Lux on a white paper corresponds roughly to 140 cd/m^2. If one is  more or less than the other it's hard to get a good match. Often the monitor is set too bright for the light a print is viewed with.

Second, the surrounding area of a print or monitor strongly affects how we see colors. They should be as close as possible for the best matching.

Third, the chromaticity coordinates (CIE xy) should be as close as possible. Often, the monitor's white is more bluish than the illuminant used to view prints. Interestingly, getting both of these close may not produce as good a match as one expects which brings up the last, and most difficult issue:

Fourth, there are strong cognitive effects at work. The brain knows whether an image is from a monitor or reflected from a print. This knowledge skews our perceptions strongly. Especially if one views a print at some distance  from the monitor. The best way to minimize this effect is viewing a print alongside the monitor in it's own lighted display. With care one can get a pretty good match.

A good book that delves into this is Fairchild's "Color Appearance Models, third ed - Wiley" Especially chapter 8.

What I've found works for me is to set the luminance and xy (chromaticity) for a blank white sheet in Photoshop to match an illuminated print next to the monitor. Not perfect, but quite good.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow