Using Elements+ for Soft-Proofing?

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
technoid Senior Member • Posts: 2,276
Re: Using Elements+ for Soft-Proofing?

pixelgenius wrote:

Flycaster wrote:

I'm using Elements+ plugged into PSE14. Monitor (Dell U2312HM) has been calibrated with ColorMunki Display. I'd like to use Elements+ Soft-Proofing ability, but not sure how to do it. Printing to be done at Walmart, but don't have their printer's ICC profile. A few questions:

1. Do I select "Preserve RGB numbers"?

No.

2. Do I select "Black point compensation"?

Yes if that’s going to be used for the conversions when you convert TO the output color space.

3. If Yes or No to 1 & 2, why?

Preserve isn’t used this way. It’s aim is to show you via soft proofing what the image in the current color space would look like IF you printed without the output profile and you’re not going to do that.

Right.  "Preserve RGB Numbers" is used when the image that is being soft proofed is already in device RGB space, such as by prior conversion to a specific printer profile. It causes the program to ignore the actual image colorspace and interpret it's RGB values as is they had already been converted to device space. It also grays out / ignores Intent and BPC since these options were selected at the time the device RGB image had been created. This option is rarely used.

But one place it can be useful is if you have an untagged image that had been converted for printing at one of the Costco centers. You can check this and select the Costco printer profile to soft proof the image.

BPC is best used for conversions because with no harm and depending on how the profile was built (by what product), it could be useful to compensate for black mapping.

Now most importantly, you can soft proof fine. But can you actually convert to the output profile in Elements? Will the lab provide and allow you to use it to convert if Elements can? Because if you can’t, this is mostly a big waist of time.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow