Bird's nest funghi

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Montanawildlives Contributing Member • Posts: 989
Bird's nest funghi

How did they ever think of that name?!? 

Focus stacked from 25 jpegs on my (new) Z7 using a 40something year old Nikon 55mm f/3.5 macro lens with 20mm extension tube (getting to about .90 magnification I think).

Even though the Z7 does focus shift automatically (what the rest of us call focus bracketing), it obviously doesn't work with a manual focus lens.  I set the interval shooting to take a picture once every 3 seconds, focused on the closest piece and started it.  Between each exposure, I turn the focus ring one knurl.  Is that a word?  One section of knurling anyway.  F/8.  Heliocon focus with all the defaults and no retouching.

I also tried sets with the 24-70 f/4 S lens with 29mm of extension tube, getting about the same magnification but nowhere near the quality.  That lens is amazing but does not perform well for me with extension tubes.  Guess I have to wait until they release the S macro lenses within the next year or two.

Until then, looks like it will be click, knurl, click, knurl, click, knurl, etc.  Keeps me "focused" anyway   

BTW, this 55mm 3.5 macro lens is the sharpest macro lens I've ever used including the Fuji 60mm, Nikon 105mm G, and Nikon 85mm DX.  I think I paid $60 on ebay.

-- hide signature --
 Montanawildlives's gear list:Montanawildlives's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +6 more
Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow