P1000 or P950

Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
bluzman
bluzman Contributing Member • Posts: 815
Re: P1000 or P950

Texas hobbyist wrote:

In the market for a new camera. I have the B700 and my pocket camera is the CoolpixA. Considering the P1000 and the P950 and was curious of your thoughts since I've no experience with either of these nice long zoom cameras. I shoot mostly landscapes and wildlife and have recently begun enjoying catching snaps of birds.

Thanks in advance!!

I have a B700 and, until recently, I also had a P1000. I bought the P1000 because I wanted the added reach it afforded while shooting mostly stationary objects. When I got seriously interested in shooting things like BIFs, I felt the P1000 was too slow in Continuous mode and had too shallow a buffer to reliably capture fast movement.

That led me to DSLRs which I now use for the majority of my wildlife shooting these days. I've even added a mirrorless ILC (Nikon Z50) to the line-up. Part of the funding for that came from selling my P1000.

For those instances when more zoom is a necessity, I keep my 60X B700 handy. It's a great camera, IMO. That said, though, the P950 has me curious. I'm waiting to hear/read some hands on reviews to see if it addresses the things I felt were shortcomings in the P1000, at least for my shooting interests.

bluzman's gear list:bluzman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Nikon D750 Nikon D7500 Nikon Z50 Tamron 35-150mm F2.8-4 +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow