Should be pretty obvious now about Olympus

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
neverendinglight Regular Member • Posts: 490
Re: you do yourself a disservice

Searching wrote:

James Pilcher wrote:

Searching wrote:

There's not a lot of new funds being invested in the system. Something to think about for current users. Yes, I love my OMD EM1.2 and the lenses that I have, but I have had them for a while with no new major advancements. I am of the opinion that there can be progress, but necessary funds are not being invested with the current sales slumping. Normal I guess. But having the EM1.2 for 4 years and now waiting another who knows 4 years seems like a long time to have the same sensor technology. Not even an improvement on the EVF. Look at the other companies and what they have done in the last 4 and what they are planning for the next 4 years. Very disappointing. I always seem to invest with the wrong technology.

Olympus has introduced nine µ4/3 cameras in the past four years. In the same time span it has introduced nine lenses (I include E-M1.3 and 12-45 Pro). That’s two µ4/3 cameras and 2 M.Zuiko lenses per year. That’s pretty good for a small manufacturer in a rapidly contracting market. Now, Pentax is a different story altogether.

Olympus is not the only company stalled (somewhat) on sensor technology. Look how long 24Mp has been the standard for APS-C and FF. And look at how expensive the higher MP FF bodies are.

I think you do yourself a disservice being so negative on Olympus. The company manufactures some great stuff.

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA
Don't trust anyone under 9100 feet

I don't think that I'm being negative on Olympus, I'm just depressed. Heck, I would have even been keen if the same sensor had a stop or two better performance with a new EVF.

The EVF is probably a bigger fail than an updated sensor. Talk about seriously effecting the user experience just to save a few bucks (surely newer and higher resolution EVF cost more). This alone if a massive tell that they're not trying at all to pull other users in, but rather keep existing users because anyone who has looked at a semi recent EVF from Panasonic, Fuji, Sony, etc will notice the difference pretty easily. Weird choice if it's actually true.

neverendinglight's gear list:neverendinglight's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7 III Sony a6400 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow