P1000 or P950

Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
Dodge_Rock
Dodge_Rock Senior Member • Posts: 2,637
Re: P1000 or P950

Texas hobbyist wrote:

In the market for a new camera. I have the B700 and my pocket camera is the CoolpixA. Considering the P1000 and the P950 and was curious of your thoughts since I've no experience with either of these nice long zoom cameras. I shoot mostly landscapes and wildlife and have recently begun enjoying catching snaps of birds.

Thanks in advance!!

You might like the P950 better for shooting wildlife, especially if you're engaged in another activity at the same time.

Say, stream fishing in the mountains.  The smaller size & weight would allow you to tuck the camera inside your waders better for that chance encounter of an elk wading across the water.

The primary advantage beside size/weight is the potential increased stablization for hand held shooting.  With the P1000, there is definitely a learning curve to getting blur-free images at 3000mm hand held, although it is much easier if you back off to 2000mm.  P900 stabilization is so good - it's similar to shooting a compound bow and 'feeling the wall' at full draw.

Nikonusa.com indicates the P950 has the highest stabilization of any Coolpix camera to date.  It states in Normal mode(as opposed to Fine/Raw?) there is up to 5.5 stops at 350mm eq.   Fingers crossed it's exceptional, and if it beats the P900, it will be.

Of course, the P1000, with the extra reach at 2200, 2400, 2600, 2800 and 3000mm has the advantage in many situations.  Think Space Force... or getting up close to cormorants for an intimate portrait.

Neotropic Cormorants

Dodge_Rock's gear list:Dodge_Rock's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P950
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow