What lens do you use for pets? Tried 16/2.8 and 35/1.4

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Team Yeti Regular Member • Posts: 346
Re: What lens do you use for pets? Tried 16/2.8 and 35/1.4

To the OP - so sorry to hear about the recent loss of your dog -- they really do become a huge part of the family. (And I will admit, I'm a little biased towards Shepherds <grin>.) Congrats on the new pup, I'm sure they have some big paws to fill, but will do great!

IMHO, after using different cameras / lenses over the years, the wider angles just never looked right for proportions. Been using the Fuji XF 27mm (~40mm equivalent) and I don't think I'd want to go any wider. Heck, thinking about going a bit longer, to at least a 50mm equivalent.

You've likely tried these approaches before (and your puppy probably won't hold still for long right now): one trick we used early on was either a tennis ball / toy (or a treat if your dog is food motivated) held just above (or next to) the camera, and a shutter speed of at least 1/125 (1/250 or faster even better). Eventually just looking out the window at something left enough time to grab a quick shot... AF-S, center point on eye, focus and recompose. Not every pic is a keeper, plenty of blurry ones, too!

Anyway, have fun with the new addition and good luck!

Team Yeti's gear list:Team Yeti's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow