Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Paul Barnard
Paul Barnard Veteran Member • Posts: 3,384
Re: Peak design head

G Dickson wrote:

Paul Barnard wrote:

G Dickson wrote:

Paul Barnard wrote:

Just for fun here is the PD Tripod using the adaptor head with a Novoflex ball leveller and Manfrotto XPRO ball head. The head combination weighs more than the legs.

Of course you can go to extremes

Surprisingly, if it was a still night, this monster combo would actually work...

I have just ordered a small pano adaptor, this one , to keep in my bag for those times I need to add a pano capability to the PD head.

Wow!!!!! That is some setup. I assume it's a tracker, being unfamiliar with Sony what lens is that? I would love to see some samples....

Thanks for the link for the panning adapter. I will probably get one also.

It’s a type 4 barn door tracker, but high precision.
The lens is a 200-600. It’s highly rated in Sony land. There are lots of examples and discussion over in the Sony forum

The panning adaptor will be here tomorrow so I’ll let you know how it is. It was cheap enough just to take a punt on it.

That would be much appreciated. I head back to Zambia (where I live) fairly soon so a yay or nay would be welcome as Amazon don't ship let alone do returns there! Nice lens. I am very keen on astrolandscapes but mounting my Canon 100-400 on a tracked mount gets more and more appealing. Thanks again!

Zambia sounds like it should have some good clear skies!

100-400 is fine even untracked if you stack.

This is Orion from my back garden with the Sony 100-400, 8 shots stacked and of course heavily cropped.  Orion is a very good first nebula to capture as it is very bright and easy to find.

Paul Barnard's gear list:Paul Barnard's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow