Do you maintain a different system for different photography needs?

Started Jan 25, 2020 | Discussions thread
roby17269
roby17269 Senior Member • Posts: 1,955
Re: Do you maintain a different system for different photography needs?

I used to believe that modern FF digital cameras are a good fit for most of my needs.

For many years I used Canon FF cameras with a variety of lenses to cover my photographic interests: travel, wildlife, macro, landscape, fashion and kids (mostly mine, sometimes friends'). For a long time (i.e. until my daughter was born), I plainly refused to use mobile phones as cameras.

Years ago I was (un)lucky enough to try out a MF digital during a fashion meetup and I was hooked. So as soon as I could afford it, I bought a second hand MF rig and a few lenses...

Because I am not carrying neither my Canon FF nor my Hasselblad MF all the time, I guess I use 3 types of cameras, although only 2 of them qualify as "system" in my mind:

1. Hasselblad MF digital back (54*40mm) with 6 lenses for fashion photography
  2. Canon FF with 6 lenses for travel, wildlife, kid and any kind of semi-serious photography when speed and ISO tolerance are required
  3. My smartphone to document my daughter's life when I do not have a camera on me - this one is not a "system" in my mind but I do not feel strongly about this - and I certainly agree that modern smartphones have improved enough to become viable for me, although nowhere near enough to become my primary photography tool

All 3 options are subject to different compromises... none is perfect. And none would cover all of my very personal photographic needs and pet peeves to my satisfaction

-- hide signature --

Ciao!
Roberto
My photos: http://rdmfashionphoto.com/

roby17269's gear list:roby17269's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow