New Canon shooter - Worth buying an R body for EF lenses?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
NomadMark
NomadMark Contributing Member • Posts: 610
Re: New Canon shooter - Worth buying an R body for EF lenses?

I swapped to Sony ages ago - when the first A7R came out - and sold my 5D2 leaving my EF lenses and flash guns, a lot of them, stranded. They never did shoot well on the old A7R. I did pickup a 6D along the way, but rarely used it...more or less, hated the AF. Not that is was that much worse than the A7R - but in my opinion, worse overall but in different ways.

My newer A73 shoots them much better, especially after the most recent firmware upgrade, using a Sigma Adapter - but the body is so small, it never feels balanced.

At Christmas, I Picked up an R on super sale, around $1350 USD/$1785 CAD, at a dealer in Toronto. I bought it only to shoot EF lenses, to be truthful. I still have a good many. Originally I didn't plan on buying a lens for it, but I did end up picking up the RF 50mm 1.2, to replace the EF version - also on super deal. All in all, the AF is so much better than my 6D, it was a no brainer for me. On sensor AF is great. And the eye AF on the R is in my opinion better than the A73. The A73 is now my travel/landscape camera, and the R is my people camera. I am quite content shooting lenses like the 100L/135L/70-200L/400L on it. I may never buy another R lens - certainly don't feel the need to. I wouldn't mind a control rind adapter though!

NomadMark's gear list:NomadMark's gear list
Sony a7 III Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow