Are (flapping) mirrors "needed" in 2020?

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Max Iso
Max Iso Senior Member • Posts: 8,214
Are (flapping) mirrors "needed" in 2020?

This is sort of a continuation of the thread about CAMERA REVIEWERS, but specifically picks up to finish a conversation towards the end, with a cordial tone for anyone who jumps in please.

So the last post i didn't get to respond to was the one below from Aberaeron.

So just to reiterate my point, i don't think any one person can validate what is necessary for others. It was stated above that the mirror has become unnecessary, but not if you prefer an OVF or very long battery run times, not even if you are happy with your DSLR kit and don't want to relocate to another lens system.

I know the last part mentions demand but i don't think that determines necessity either, and the new 1DXIII is a new camera and still has a mirror. Same with the D780. I think the only thing we should carve in stone about necessity is this, for now at least, if you want an EVF, you have to do away with the mirror and OVF.

That's the only time it's actually NECESSARY to remove the mirror. I get some people don't like them but im curious if those of you in that group, do you realize there are people who will ALWAYS prefer an OVF? And there will always be people like that and i don't think it will be as lopsided as some suggest.

-- hide signature --

"You taught me hate, I'll teach you fear" -

Max Iso's gear list:Max Iso's gear list
Nikon D300 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM +7 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow