Exporting a jpeg makes it bigger

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
OP james_the_first Regular Member • Posts: 310
Re: Exporting a jpeg makes it bigger

Thanks for answering

but....

shouldn't the exported max quality version of a jpeg be no bigger than the original jpeg it was based on? - 8 bits per pixel - pixel for pixel - the original is a small low quality scan of a now lost original colour print so is relatively information poor but I was expecting the file of 'almost perfect' high quality version of it to be no larger

dropping the 'quality' slider for exports does reduce the relative file size (compared to the original jpeg: as expected) but I was not expecting more information in a highest quality version - pixel sizes and everything else I can see are identical between exports

I can't see any improvement of detail or colour with the larger file - think I will stick with the 'original' jpeg (master in Aperture speke) and assume that the bigger file is re-rendered with more different 'invented/interpolated' colours slipped in

Unfortunately I don't have another jpeg renderer to test the theory that this might be a general feature

James

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow