Anyone using the Manfrotto MVA50A fluid monopod base ?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Inapickle New Member • Posts: 10
Anyone using the Manfrotto MVA50A fluid monopod base ?

I'm thinking about modifying my old Manfrotto 679B monopod to use as a video monopod with retractable legs and 701HDV head. The fluid pan on the 701HDV head has too much drag to be usable, so a base that has fluid pan is desirable.

The MVA50A fluid base that Manfrotto produced for converting monopods with a 20mm end tube (679B included) is still available, but pricey. Lowest price I could find in Canada is CAD 110 (on 'Special Order') at Vistek, and CAD 120 from Manfrotto Canada direct, plus tax/shipping. Seems exorbitant given that the monopods it is compatible with were discontinued years ago. For that price I could maybe pick up a used 561BHDV with or without head. However, being able to detach the base has some advantages, and I'm comfortable using a 3-section monopod with 2 flip locks like the 679B.

Thought about trying one of those generic 'three-legged' bases available on EBay. They are intended for monopods that have a 3/8" screw thread on the end tube, but people have used epoxy putty to attach them to monopods with no thread, directly or via threaded couplings. However, they don't have a fluid pan cartridge like the MVA50A - all movement is on the ball joint. The ball joint can be locked down though, which it can't on the MVA50A.

So, I'm wondering if it's worth ponying up for the MVA50A. Checking out the parts diagram on Manfrottospares.com it looks like the monopod tube is held in place by a collar/wedge that tightens around the tube when a top ring is screwed down. I'm guessing it's plastic of some sort, so are there any issues with it breaking or wearing down loose over time ?

Anyone using the MVA50A who can comment ?

Cheers.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow