Close encounter of the coyote kind

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
AlwynS Senior Member • Posts: 2,815
Close encounter of the coyote kind

Or: When is close, TOO close?

As it was another lovely sunny morning, I went out for a walk on the dyke as is my wont. When I got close to the local golf course, a guy walking in the opposite direction told me there was a coyote walking along on the golf course side of the dyke. I soon spotted it an walked parallel to it for probably 400m. I would walk briskly to get a few meters ahead of the coyote up to a spot where there was a bit of a gap in the grasses and waited for him so that I could get a reasonably clear shot .

Just to give you an idea: from the top of the dyke to the small stream, across from which the coyote was walking, was probably about 12m or so. So pretty close. The following shots (the first taken at 300mm and cropped to 4600 x 2600 and then reduced to 4K for posting!) is typical of the shots I got there:

And the next thing I knew, it hopped across the stream and started towards me! In the end he wound up probably no more than 6m from me! Some closer shots: the first taken at just over 200mm focal length and cropped to 5427 x 3062 before being resized for posting:

This at 470mm and cropped to 4K:

He then proceeded to walk back in the direction we came from: the following shows the setting. Imagine me standing directly beside him on the side of the dyke pathway: that was how close he was earlier!

Some more close ups:

He then went back across the stream and started walking along the golf course. Here he is at the start of the one green:

I think he badly messed up this guy's putt!

What an incredible experience! Nature is just so totally in your face around here: LOVE it!

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Alwyn

AlwynS's gear list:AlwynS's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P610 Sony RX10 IV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow