What's your fastest set-up for running SPP?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 14,916
What's your fastest set-up for running SPP?

I want to create a post about SPP performance at SigmaPhotoPro.com, but I have little information about what works and what doesn't. That would require quite a few Windoze machines and more Macs than I have access to, so can you please let me know what your computer, processor, OS, and configuration of performance preferences are, with an idea about how fast/slow processing a raw file is on your computer? Yes, that means you, if you're running SPP 6.7. If you're running an earlier version of SPP, please let me know what version. Here is the information I'd like to know about your system:

SPP version number

OS (whether you're running Windows or Mac OS, Mac OSX, or Linux, or something else)

OS version (It probably makes a difference if you're running a 32 bit or 64 bit OS.)

CPU (What processor is in your computer? I run SPP on a 2.8 GHz dual-core i5.)

RAM (How much RAM does your computer have? I run SPP 6.7 on a Mac Mini with 8 GB.)

GPU (What GPU does your computer have? The Mac Mini I use has an Intel Iris 1536 MB.)

In Preference Settings, under High Speed Mode (the third column) do you have the "Use extra memory to accelerate operation" checked? How about the "High-speed processing by pre-processing the image" and "GPU Acceleration" check boxes? A screen-capture of your Preference Settings window would be awesome! Like this:

I'd like to know if you're running an SSD too. For example, I work on an SSD, which is the main drive of the Mac Mini, but the raw files are on an external, portable USB 3 drive (a modern 4TB Western Digital drive). I usually save the files I'm exporting from the raw files to the SSD though, not that it seems to make any difference in the processing speed, when I save to the external drive instead. I don't have an external SSD to experiment with.

One more thing I'm interested in knowing is the speed of processing. For example, with my full-resolution SD Quattro H raw files it usually takes about 10 to 12 seconds for the Mac Mini that I use to save an image from the raw files, if I make a few adjustments. I've done batch tests that reflect a similar time of processing. Of course that changes with the background processing that's happening (i.e. if the Web browser is full of tabs, which are causing the computer to work hard, which might be slowing down SPP).

Here's a raw file from my SD Quattro H that everyone can use:

https://www.sigmaphotopro.com/RAW/SDQH3198.X3F

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
https://www.bigprintphotos.com/

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +23 more
Sigma sd Quattro H
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow