My experience with Canon 18-150 and Sony 18-135

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
nonproshooterdad Contributing Member • Posts: 513
My experience with Canon 18-150 and Sony 18-135

I recently got two copies of Canon 18-150. One is very good at the wide end, sharp wide open at the corners. It's good until 50mm, then from 70mm onwards, the edges/corners are weaker, and at 150mm, even the center is obviously weaker than the other one. The other one is good at the center at the wide end, weak at the edge/corners when wide open. Stopped down to F/5.6, the difference disappears. This changed until 70mm. From there on, the former getting worse, from the corners, then extending to the center at 150mm.

For me, most of time the subject is the kids. So the center sharpness at the tele end is more important than corner sharpness at the wide end. That's good for landscapes only. So when I have to make a choice, I keep the one with better long end.

Then I compared this one to Sony 18-135. Wide open, the Canon is better at 150mm vs Sony 135mm, all center and corners. This is what I cared most.

Sony 18-135 is a very good lens. Its only weakness is 135mm. It is all better from 18-100mm at the edge and corners. The center is the same or better than Canon. Canon 18-150 is better at 150mm, from center to corners. For all other focal lengths, Canon is weaker at the edge/corners, but the center is the same or very close. Stopped down, they are the same even at the corners. For my photography, I prefer tele end. Corners/edges are not so important to me. So totally, I prefer the Canon. This Canon copy meets my needs.

For these kinds of lenses, copy variance playing more important role than different brands, in my opinions.

nonproshooterdad's gear list:nonproshooterdad's gear list
Sony a7R III Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +12 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow