Travenar 90/2.8 bees in flight

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
fferreres Veteran Member • Posts: 3,748
Travenar 90/2.8 bees in flight

Probably one of the hardest things I ever tried is do to almost macros of bees in flight. There aren't many here where I shot, which made it more difficult. I find that when one shoots things like these, after some time, one starts a bit to think like the thing, and understand its patterns. I had to do AWAY from using the viewfinder OR LCD. Just memorize the focusing distance and gain a real life sense of if, occasionally finetuning with strong peaking in LCD.

Would not recommend insects in light to anyone, except someone looking for a challenge...more as some kind of sport and game, really that pure productivity.

I am pretty sure this is one scenario for AnimalAF or future AF systems, tracking of a bee would be fantastic, and I look forward, deluded, of a fast AF adapter for all vintage glass.

The Travenar was nice....a bit too short (have to move swiftly by being too close to the flowers, but not so that it was impossible). A 60mm macro would have been impossible. I like the Sonnar/Ernostar-like rendering, although the high blade count travenar may have been more purist.

The Travenar is an unusual lens. It has labels for both A/M setting (a gap inside the lens changes the letters) and also has a physical DOF indicator. As you change the aperture, it shows in the scale, mechanically, exactly from which Meter to Which Meter...imagine those scales that change using the length (on axis) of the barrel, but this lens just invents it with some rotation internal mechanism.

Resting, finally...

All shots are unresized full res crops.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow