How often does Camera/Lens firmware get updated?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 20,417
How often does Camera/Lens firmware get updated?

I know Olympus does this "fairly" often.  They added some significant improvements this way to the E-M1 II sometime last year.  And my E-M10 Mk I just got its 2nd or 3rd update when I ran across the proprietary USB cable Olympus uses in my photo 'junk' drawer, and I thought I ought to check the update status. (the update was a minor fix to a very minor problem).

This got me to wondering if this is common among the other manufacturers.  The big advantage of attaching lenses to tiny computers should be the ability to update the ROMS.  How common is this?

Not trying to start any tears flowing or angry recriminations, just trying to figure out if the industry is taking advantage of the technology.

Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +13 more
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow