SD Q Colour

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 25,186
Re: I always find it interesting..

TN Args wrote:

richard stone wrote:

I recently posted a picture of the wife, who at the time was in shadow so the light was somewhat reduced and a bit on the blue side, and she had no make-on. But with skin you don't just get the surface reflection. Particularly with Foveon. And Foveon sensors are quite sensitive to the illumination.

I assume you are talking about colours -- after all, it's the sensor's job to be sensitive to the illumination.

But isn't it a Very Bad Thing to have colours change with the illumination level?

They must do in the monitor or printer, because the maximum saturation occurs only at the mid tones. Highlights and shadows are less saturated.

Ideally, the hues (dominant wavelengths) shouldn't change.

This paper is "really" all the same colour.

Or did you just mean sensitive to the light type? i.e. if the white balance is wrong, the colour tint is stronger.

cheers

"White balance" mainly applies to studio situations. If you are photographing pots for a museum, or a model wearing a particular fabric, the aim is that the colours of the print should match the surface colours of the pot or fabric and the light should be white, or appear white. You can get close to this with photos of flat artwork.

As soon as you leave the studio, all is chaos.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow