What lens do you use for pets? Tried 16/2.8 and 35/1.4

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
deednets Forum Pro • Posts: 10,218
What lens do you use for pets? Tried 16/2.8 and 35/1.4

We had a dog from 2005 until early 2016. He died of cancer. At the time I used my usual combination of the tiny RX1/RX1r plus a variety of Fuji cameras. If you like, he has seen the X-E1, then the X-E2 and then the X-T1. The images I liked most were almost entirely taken with the 23/1.4 - not really a pet-lens as such. But I liked the images.

Shostakovich

Now we have a new pup, a Siberian-Husky/German Shepherd cross. A mischievous little darling and often as fast like the TGV after she had an oil exchange.

Cameras have changed, new technologies have emerged, certainly new sensors, updated AF etc. Some might of course call them incremental add-ons to the original software, but there are some new lenses now. Faster AF motors and different optical formula.

I currently use an X-T3 plus an array of lenses, mostly fast glass, but I also have a couple of the smaller WR lenses.

I started shooting with the 16/2.8 and had near nil image in focus, unless the little monster was sitting down. When I had a look through those images I took with the 16mm I thought that I didn't like 24mm FF:

The auto-WB rendered the shots cooler, so I decided to warm the images a bit:

Colour wise ok I thought. But the images (I took quite a few - as one does) I didn't really like.

So I thought I would try a different lens, we had a little play inside and I thought I would try the 35/1.4. No magic of course.

Auto WB, but different light so who knows why the shots downstairs were so much "out"??

I like the shots taken with the 35mm much better, a slow lens but I simply like the rendering.

Since the focal lengths can hardly be compared, the only conclusion I would draw here is that the 16/2.8 is imo more "clinical". Like matter-of-fact.

As a little personal-taste conclusion I would have to say that I really like that 35/1.4.

2 questions here:

1. What do you think of those shots?
  2. What lenses do you use?

Thanks

Deed

P.S.: The little fellow's name is Eski He is a Husky deep down so likes to "chomp" .. anything! The chain was recommended by the vet to take him off chomping "stuff" as the satisfaction level should be near zero. He chomps the chain anyway. 11 weeks old this Saturday so what can you say??

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +6 more
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow