Adobe RGB monitor usage?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
fferreres Veteran Member • Posts: 4,155
Re: Adobe RGB monitor usage?

MarkMyWords wrote:

I have a Dell Ultrasharp UP2516D monitor with 100% Adobe RGB and 100% sRGB. The extended colour gamut is very noticeable...unsurprisngly.

Is the general practice to use the monitor in sRGB mode for digital publishing? Most of the world doesn't have the Adobe RGB colour range. For example, my iPhone X displays quite differently to the monitor configured in Adobe RGB, e.g. substantially dulls/normalises some colours. Adobe RGB intended for printing?

Search DPR forum for color management, calibration, output profiles. You'll find threads with very good information on the topic.

The most important thing is that your software workflow should be color managed. This funky name says that the software is aware of: your monitor profile (usually profiled using a colormunki or equivalent at least), the working profile (as you edit images, what gamut is used?), the input profile (eg. your camera profile, tone curve, etc if it has) and then the output profile (which it's your choice).

So if I take a picture now, I know when I load into RawTherapee how the input will be processes depending on the camera I have, and if I want to use embedded profile, tone map, etc. [I am talking RAW, not sure how it works with JPG, probably simpler], my Display Profile is DCP6500 [custom made that I select from a drop down, after having created one with free software, that knows exactly what I see and how it translates to sRGB, etc], I will know my working profile is ProPhoto [this means it's a huge gamut, even if some colors are not able to be represented in my monitor], and when I save for web, I usually leave sRGB as output profile. I also know all the apps I use to make modifications are color managed. And since most browsers are color managed (some may require activating that?) I can also publish a JPG in the web with AdobeRGB as embedded profile. This means, a viewer with sRGB monitor using a color managed browser that reads the jpg, would know it was AdobeRGB, and would display properly even if they have sRGB, and if managed, and they have some gamut (say 98% AdobeRGB and they are using a monitor with the proper profile) they will display it as best as it can.

If you keep the RAWs, you can become more sophisticated in the future, when you get a ProPhoto monitor (fictional example), even if right now, you aren't sure what you are doing too well. Since all this I mention is about non RAW outputs.

As an aside, the UP2516D monitor has a disappointing contrast ratio (with no amount of adjustment) - my Huawei Matebook Pro much better for example.

Yes, 1:1000? I have an LCD by sharp in my Dell XPS. It has a beautiful gamut, covering about 99% of AdobeRGB, and 97% of DCP 6500 (Apple), and it's profile is that even some colors outside those gamuts can be displayed.

What I did is buy a $70 colorimeter (ColorMunki Smiles?), used a very powerful open source profiler that's also easy to use (but, it has so many options or the outputs are a bit technical...I just let it generate and manage the profiles), I had to uninstall all Dell color management stuff (really...was lowering the bit depth), then enable color management in my apps (RawTherapee, etc). Make sure they all use the correct calibrated monitor profile. Then review what was going on when I load a RAW in RT (many options), then ensure all apps really are using the display profile, then when I export a JPG be aware of what output profile I am choosing. So I did some tests after all this, and many of my images that some fel dull, or in forums where there's C&C, where they provided suggestions as in saturation, etc., I saw these again, now managed, and realized how dull they looked, and reopened the RAWs until now they looked well -now for real- and it was revealing. I've been posting this that others see brutally differently. I was also having them be too dark, or desaturated to avoid clipping ...but that clipping was mostly my previous low coverage monitor. So, the images came alive again. Then I explored seeing in my broswer the same images, under different profiles in 3 displays: iPhone, the low coverage one, and the wide gamut. After all that hassle with color management, they mostly look similar with the main difference being the profession that the different monitors have to make when one posts a picture in a wider gamut that the display can't render. But at least, properly done, that display knows what I intended, and tries to best represent what it can. As opposed to not knowing and displaying obliviously something that was not intend ended and completely off with regards to all variables.

I don't think AdobeRGB is used for "printing". I think there's a PRINTER PROFILE, which may vary by process. Adobe is used a lot by graphic designers of all sorts, and when it needs printed, it will translated using the printer profile and proofed before printed.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow