Experience with Z6 in very cold weather

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Philipp89
Philipp89 New Member • Posts: 11
Experience with Z6 in very cold weather

So I have spent 3 weeks with my new Z6 (together with kit lense 24-70 f4, 24mm S f1.8 prime, 3 batteries, tripod etc.) in Nepal at winter time and also stayed several days at altitudes of 4000-5500m. Temperatures went down to a minimum of ~-30 degrees celsius at nights (-20 during day) and somewhere between -5 and -18 in the lodge rooms.

However my hands failed before my camera Only thing I noticed with an old battery (EL15a) was that it suddenly went down to 20% when I was thinking it was fully charged. No issues with EL15b. At one point I stopped putting them in my sleeping bag as I was thinking this cold doesn't affect them.

It was a joy to use it. The only thing which annoyed me was that it doesn't keep self-timer settings when turning it off. Or is it possible to save these under U1-U3? As I wasn't blessed with good conditions for astrophotography during nights I barely used the prime lens and sticked to the kit lens 95% of time. Dont think I would have needed it at f2.8 at any point (as I mostly shoot landscape). Would like to share some images from both lenses at different conditions:

low light condition in the morning with 24mm S prime

kit lens at higher ISO

24mm prime at night. freaking cold.

sun helped a lot to make this shot with kit lens

24mm prime with ND

really nasty conditions. As this is a wild one this is only shot at 70mm with kit lens

freaking cold again (after sunset). Another shot with the prime lens on tripod. But not 100% sure if my hands could manage to swith from kit to prime

just another shot with the kit lens

Philipp89's gear list:Philipp89's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +4 more
Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 24mm F1.8 S Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow