Back button focus "outdated" due to new ML tech ?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
1llusive
1llusive Senior Member • Posts: 1,960
Re: Back button focus "outdated" due to new ML tech ?

Steve Wetzel wrote:

SaltyPeanut wrote:

Still use it for 2 main reasons: it's difficult sometimes to hold down the shutter button half way while taking or not taking shots unintentionally, and holding the AF-ON button down actually helps me stabilize the camera better, especially when I press down on the shutter button to take a shot. Moving the AF point in between shots is not a big deal.

From the article: "What’s overlooked though is that it’s actually just as easily done with the default shutter focus method too by using AF-L (autofocus lock). The difference is that releasing the AF-On button in the case of back-button focus would stop AF-C and emulate AF-S, however with the default shutter focus setting, AF-C can be stopped to emulate AF-S by holding the AF-L button and then pressing the shutter button."

This seems silly...what's the point of not using the AF-ON button to use another button just like it?

To me, the advantage is if you are wanting to use AF-C because of moving objects you want to act fast have using your thumb to position the focus point and your index finger to focus and snap is faster than using your thumb to move the focus point, then move to a different button to focus then use your index finger to snap.

When you are working more slowly (AF-S) using your thumb to hit two buttons is slower, but your working slower so it's less of an issue.

It seems like a minor point but I think I am going to try it. It makes more sense to me now that we can focus on so much larger an area of the frame.

That makes sense. Thinking in gaming analogies, we typically move via left-thumb joystick and activate other buttons with the right. Using both hands would allow us to be more nimble with these kinds of actions than "joystick, lift, AF-ON". There is no room to move the joystick to the left side of the camera, though, so the thumb for the joystick and the index for the focus and trigger makes sense. I feel like we're trying to take back control from the autofocus system in doing this, though.

1llusive's gear list:1llusive's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 85mm F1.8
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow