Latest Fuji X-trans vs Bayer, has X-trans lost it already?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
OP il_alexk Senior Member • Posts: 2,616
Results: X-AR+LR 6 outresolves X-pro3+Iridient

Since none of the X-trans proponents bothered to demonstrate the superiority of X-Pro3 with a good raw engine, I downloaded the evaluation copy of the X-transformer and tried to see if X-trans with Iridient can outresolve X-A5 with LR.

So here are the results, four images compared:

• XA-5 with OOC Jpegs
  • XA-5 raws LR6
  • X-Pro3 raws, Iridient, smooth, all settings as in the link below
  • X-Pro3 raws, Iridient, detailed, the rest of the settings as in the link below

The following areas are to be checked

• the suit of the guy on 20 schilling bill
  • the area above the coins with a mesh pattern
  • The pink rubber band and the hair above the band
  • Lorenz Frolich eyes

So here it comes, I can clearly see X-A5+LR6 resolving more details than X-Pro3+Iridient, check the suit of the guy on the bill again, do you?
If anyone thinks they can get better results with X-Pro3, please do be my guest and show what you get.
Otherwise, the conclusion is that fuji bayer sensors are more capable than X-trans at least at low light. I might do the same test at low light with high ISO, but I already doubt the results will be different.

Iridient configured as in this link.

https://blog.thomasfitzgeraldphotography.com/blog/2017/3/updated-iridient-x-transformer-settings

The best results are claimed to be with Iridient doing the demosaicing and color noise cleaning, while the sharpening is done with LR. I did try playing with sharpening and denoising with Iridient, ended up with vertical and horizontal oversharpening artefacts, so I believe this guy has a fair point. I tboth detailed and smooth options are included in the test.

No processing rather than the following:

• Matched WB by the color checker in the photos
  • Plaid with Contrast/Exposure with OOC jpeg to match other three images
  • Sharpening to squeeze the maximum amount of details out of each of the images

The main problem with X-Pro3 was that I had to push the sharpness as much as I could to match X-A5 raws, otherwise the details were lost. Unfortunately at some point vertical and horizontal oversharpening artefacts appeared without resolving more details.

So I pushed the sharpness on X-pro3 as far as I could before seeing the vertical/horizontal artefacts Frolich's portrait.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Alex

il_alexk's gear list:il_alexk's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-5 IIs Sony a7R III Fujifilm X-A5 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
JNR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow