Have you bought anything from faceBook Marketplace?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DMKAlex
DMKAlex Veteran Member • Posts: 5,002
Have you bought anything from faceBook Marketplace?

I recently discovered FB Marketplace for both buying and selling. I started by selling my generator and leaf blower because those are not quite shippable. While I was there I found quite a few other interesting items on it.

I think FBMP has a place in the second hand market because some sellers don't find the other available channels attractive.

eBay, or Amazon are quite expensive. There are cc charge and fee, plus shipping, an item may not net 65% of the selling price. Then the outright biased that favors only the buyer.

I personally have not found craigslist viable. When I tried to sell a $2,000 camera, all I got were someone who wanted to scam me, trade me or cheat me. It seems that anyone can go on craigslist without any investment on their own integrity.

Facebook has no fee, cc charge or shipping (I only look for stuff I can pick up). The seller would take cash only. The buyer would be able to examine the item before money changes hand. There is nosales tax. The saving for the sellers translate into saving for the buyers too. faceBook takes some responsibility to protect the buyer. It's a win win situation.

The drawback is the haggling. Some sellers inflat the asking price so they can come down when asked. So it takes some back and forth to arrive and the selling price. But all in all, I find similar items on eBay is around 20 to 25% higher than FBMP.

I picked up a Manfrotto 502AH for $30 (without the plate which cost me another $10). I have found some higher end video tripod and head set going for $400 while it is $1300 new on B&H or $700 on eBay. Cameras, lenses and computer components are all in quite an abundance. I certainly would look there first and hard before going on eBay next time.

Do you have any experience in the FBMP?

DMKAlex's gear list:DMKAlex's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | S Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +3 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow