Sony A9 with Canon Lenses

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Jingo M New Member • Posts: 15
Re: Sony A9 with Canon Lenses

I also transitioned from Canon to Sony over the last two years. I did not get usable AF for sports until I bought the A7III body upon release and coupled it with the MC-11 adapter. The a7/a7II AF systems were too primitive and slow.  I used this combo with the Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II lens with a great deal of success. I even shot night college football and soccer games with it and occasionally even with the 1.4x teleconverter. Recently, I upgraded to the a9 and the native Sony 70-200 2.8 GM. While the speed and sharpness are noticeably better than my A7III/Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II setup, I think adapting Canon glass is a great option as you transition your equipment to native Sony mount lenses. Since I couldn't do it all at once, this was a viable option for me. Additionally, I would say using the MC-11 on an a9 with any version II or newer Canon telephoto lens will probably yield even better results as the firmware upgrades to the a9 have made adapted glass even more responsive.

One final note, my 300mm Canon F4L lens which is a version I, does not work very well on either the a7III or the a9. Your telezooms are of the newer vintage should not be an issue.

Good luck with the transition to Sony! IMHO, the a9 is awesome with both native and adapted glass.

Jingo M's gear list:Jingo M's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow