Z50 Auto-area AF with Subject Tracking: not truly usable?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ZapperVT Regular Member • Posts: 213
Z50 Auto-area AF with Subject Tracking: not truly usable?

In his guide to the Z50, Thom Hogan summarizes the Auto-area AF with Subject Tracking mode as follows:

"I’m going to argue that this is not a focus mode that’s truly usable. The odd interface and not-soperfect subject recognition and tracking mechanisms make it so you can miss focus on key moments and easily get frustrated with this mode."

I can see that this mode may not work that well for action shots of football players or race cars and the like. But I've been finding it very useful for more slowly moving subjects, and especially for focus-and-reframe shots. In the latter case, I can not only reframe but change zoom or move my position and the focus point stays on the designated target quite well. It's certainly much more useful than the 3D tracking on the D5600 I used previously, which worked well enough to suggest the possibilities of focus tracking, but not well enough to actually be useful. And it seemed to be similar to the 3D tracking in the D7500 I borrowed, except you can track over most of the frame.

So perhaps it's just that my standards are much lower than Thom's (and they are), but I find this mode is quite useful, and has become my preferred focus mode.

What are your opinions of Auto-area AF with Subject Tracking?

ZapperVT's gear list:ZapperVT's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D810 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Nikon D5600 Nikon D7500 Nikon Z50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow