Sensor Photodiode Limitation at f/1.2?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
LiNGo0 Junior Member • Posts: 28
Sensor Photodiode Limitation at f/1.2?

I'm looking into adding the Mitakon 35mm f/0.95 lens to my X-H1 because they seem like a match made in heaven. Then I came across a comment that I had never heard of before:

"Also, most digital cameras have a quirk with the photo diodes in their sensors which mean they can't really receive the amount of light provided by an f/0.95 lens - in terms of light gathering, most sensors won't see any difference in a lens faster than f/1.1 - f/1.2. So any f/0.95 lens won't quite give you the blazingly fast you might expect. HOWEVER, depth-of-field is NOT affected: so, this lens will give you the very narrow depth-of field you would expect at 0.95. So, in terms of focal length and depth-of-field, it's the full-frame equivalent of a 52.5mm f/1.4 lens (on Canon EOS M, about 56mm f/1.5) - or thereabouts. But, you will get the kind of shutter speeds you'd see with an f/1.1-f/1.2 lens."

First off, I wanted to verify with forum members if this is true. If it is true, have you tested this? How did you test it? The way I interpret the comment above is if you go from f/1.2 down to f/0.95, your shutter speed won't change to get the same exposure. If this is the case, I think it affects my decision of getting a f/0.95 lens a little bit. You no longer have the low light advantage over a f/1.2 lens even if the depth-of-field advantage exists. I might seriously consider getting the Rokinon 35mm f/1.2 instead because it's just a better lens overall (aside from the aperture).

I'm just confused because I had never heard of diode limitations before (although it makes sense), but it seems important enough that I would have expected it to be common knowledge among Fuji shooters and photographers in general. Any experience with this would be helpful.

LiNGo0's gear list:LiNGo0's gear list
Canon EOS 1000D Fujifilm X-H1 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM +1 more
Fujifilm X-H1 Samyang XP 35mm F1.2 / Rokinon SP 35mm F1.2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow