Review: Photographer's Companion Pro

Started 1 month ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 20,397
Review: Photographer's Companion Pro

Not sure where this belongs, as there is no forum category for software that helps you out on the photoshoot itself.  I reviewed the Android version.

I have no idea if there is an Apple version though I'd be surprised if there aren't similar products for iOS, or for Android for that matter.  It runs just fine on my Pixel 3a, and on my Samsung Tab A10.1 (2019) tablet.  (really nice on that 10-inch screen)

The pro version cost me $1.99 US - There's a free version, but < $2.00 - REALLY?

Photographer's Companion Pro Link

It seems 4/3s and m43s friendly, along with the other major brands, and allows you to calculate things like Equivalent exposure, DOF, Field of View, flash calculations, sunrise & Sunset (moon too), time-lapse photography, and can make your smartphone act like either a refective or incident light meter.

It also assists in planning your shoot, motion photography, print size calculations, etc.

I really like the DOF calculation and the flash photography calcs. It allows you to enter cameras and lenses not already in the database (and you will probably have to do that. But fortunately, it's easy to do. It came with the Olympus lenses of the DSLR 14 - 54 and the m43s 12-40 f/2.8, I had to enter all my other lenses, including my small fleet of Canon FL legacy lenses.

It had all the Oly cameras I needed, but lacked the E-M5 III, again, easy to add. To avoid wading through the camera and lens database, the program allows you to identify up to 3 cameras and 6 lenses as favorites, making switching between the favorites fast and easy.

For me, the biggest negative was the web-based help screens. They oddly, I thought, gave you lots of pretty good background information, but I thought were a little skimpy on immediate instructions on why and how to use the tools. I've got a lot of years in photography, including formal USAF training, so for me, it wasn't a significant problem. But for Newbies, I think the instructions might be a bit confusing.

Well worth the $1.99 I spent on it.  All the usual disclaimers, I have no connection with the author or publisher of this software.

Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +13 more
Glen Barrington's score
Olympus E-M5 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow