A question on 4/3's sensor versus APSC

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
amblepath Contributing Member • Posts: 523
A question on 4/3's sensor versus APSC

In reading comments on this forum I have come to realize that there are a lot of people here with technical expertise so I would like to ask this question.

I shoot m4/3 and I like the aspect ratio.  If I was to use an ASPC  sensor I would probably find myself in most cases cropping to a 4/3 aspect ratio.  This means that I would be throwing away quite a few megapixels worth of information. In fact I think that I would probably be at the current 4/3 20 megapixels or maybe even less.

Does this mean that APSC sensors would gain me very little?

This is what I do know.

APSC is also a little bigger vertically so that would come into play.

I have read the articles on total light gathering affecting the final image so I assume         that that would affect things. (Still seems weird how that benefits even when I'm                essentially throwing away a good portion of that extra sensor size especially as pixel        density must be pretty similar between both formats)

Personally with the aspect ratio of m4/3 it's megapixel count of 20 seems perfectly reasonable to my untrained mind.  The new Nikon D780 is only 25mp and it is full frame.  If new em1 iii had 25 megapixels I could imagine what the D780 owner would think if I said "oh yah mine has 25mp too."

-- hide signature --

Thanks, Mike

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow