Misc. Florida - RX10M4

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
RBEmerson
RBEmerson Regular Member • Posts: 491
Misc. Florida - RX10M4

No great questions or issues, just stuff that might be pleasing. There's some minor tweaking to taste, mostly to undo underexposures.

The last thing you'll see before...

Actually, this is an alligator panting. Honest.

Cattle egret

I liked not seeing this egret out in plain sight. I think this gives a sense of their size. They're not big birds, like the snowy egret.

Eyes to nose

An alligator's size can be figured by using the distance, in inches, from the eyes to the nose. Eight inches means an 8 foot long 'gator. You hold the tape, I'll write down the numbers.

Common gallinule AKA Marsh hen

These birds used to be marsh hens until the Audubon Society said they're common gallinules. I don't think the gallinules/hens had a say in the matter.

Purple gallinule

The purple gallinule doesn't have an identity problem. Their name hasn't been changed. Gallinules are light enough to "walk on water". They can stand on a lily pad without sinking.

The alligators and egret were found in the Everglades. The gallinules were found in the Wakodahatchee Wetlands in Delray Beach, FL.

Anyone who can't find something to photograph there has their eyes shut. Tripods aren't welcome (narrow walkway) but a monopod works. Or leaning on a railing, holding the extended lens like a rifle. Speaking of rifles, the rule for pulling the trigger is to pull it gently so that it's a small surprise when the gun goes off. I use that when I'm not shooting in a hurry. Fewer blurred images that way...

If I were feeling brave and bold, and had the bucks to do it, holding a camera, on a stabilized mount, below the level of the walkways should give some remarkable results - remote monitor and shutter of course. It helps to remember alligators can jump, and racoons, among other critters, do, too. As I said, if you're feeling brave and bold... I just lay down on the boards and shoot under the railing instead.

-- hide signature --

Life is what happens while we're busy making other plans. - - John Lennon

RBEmerson's gear list:RBEmerson's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony X3000R
Sony RX10 IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow