SD Q Colour

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
absquatulate Forum Pro • Posts: 11,121
Re: SD Q Colour

DMillier wrote:

No one can say for sure what another person's perception of colour is inside their mind but what we can do is test people to see whether or not they agree certain colours are the same or not. If everyone agrees a certain hue of red (say fire engine red) is the same then it doesn't really matter what's going on internally: we have common reference points. Obviously someone who has colour blindness will disagree with someone who doesn't on some colours.

The point being really, that assuming we talking about the subset of people who can all agree that the colours on two identical colour charts are the same, the we would expect them to also agree whether a colour in a photo matched the chart or not. That's your baseline for accuracy.

Personal preference for colour is something else. Two people may agree on what a particular shade is while one may consider a more saturated version preferable, artistically. That's nothing to do with correctly identifying a colour only to do with which colours you like more. Hey, there are a lot of shades of 'white' paint available!

With respect to colours under a wide range of lighting conditions, I strongly suspect that older Foveons will misfire on accurate rendition of colour more often than Bayer sensors based on both my own experience and some of the arguments I read on these hallowed pages. I have plenty of examples of quirky colour from my Foveon based cameras. Bayer sensors do seem to me to be fairly consistent even with the different tweaks that are made as crowd pleasers.

As far as the Q is concerned - yes I haven't used one so I haven't assessed the colour of my own photographs. But I saw the big print tour images and I've seen enough of forum members' work to feel that the Q colour appears to be more neutral, consistent and like Bayer colour than some of the odd renditions I've seen from my older Sigma cameras. For example, my DP1 original would often produce images with generally attractive plausible looking colours across the frame but turn red objects strongly magenta.

I gave you the opinion from scientists who research colour perception, it's quite clear they don't believe we all see colour the exact same way. So yes, we can mostly agree on whether something is blue or red, but there is a further subtlety to that distinction that can't be easily measured. It's the different shades of colours where opinion can start to differ, and I don't believe that's solely down to subjective taste. The distinction between something like orange and red can often lead to conflicting opinions on which is which for instance.

On a side note, I find that the SD Quattro sensor is very good at displaying subtle tonalities in dark and bright areas where the bayer sensor is not so accurate. The Merrill sensor is not so sensitive and often fails in shadow areas. In the blue hour the SD Quattro sensor is particularly good at rendering the light accurately, much more so than bayer sensors to my eyes, which tend to black rather than blue. The Quattro is able to record the subtle pastel tones in this kind of light really well.

ps

(No need for the personal dig or supposing what I would say in order to deliver judgement on it before I have even said anything. If you want to keep adding personal digs, I'll keep pointing them out).

Sure, just as I'll point out where you are consistently negative about something you allegedly like, a regular contradiction you adhere to, so I guess we both know where we stand.

absquatulate's gear list:absquatulate's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Coolpix P7800 Sigma sd Quattro Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow